How long much advanced notice do ISPs need to deploy IPv6?

Christopher L. Morrow chris at UU.NET
Wed Oct 22 00:46:57 UTC 2003

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003, Sean Donelan wrote:

> How much notice is adequate when changing widely used behavior on the
> Internet?

Widely deployed Filters, including uRPF, would probably qualify as this
right?

> When the ARPANET changed from NCP to TCP/IP how many days advance notice
> was needed?
>
> When the Internet changed from IPv4 to IPv6 how many days advance notice
> was needed?

I'm going to show some (alot?) ignorance here... BUT: won't the network
go: pure-v4 -> v4+v6 -> v6 (probably with v4 tunnels) -> pure-v6

I don't think its just going to go: POOF! one night, nor in one year...
Judging by how long it takes people to upgrade a simple major application
or OS it'll take YEARS to upgrade entirely to pure-v6.

of course, I could be completely wrong.