data request on Sitefinder

Jack Bates jbates at brightok.net
Tue Oct 21 15:03:09 UTC 2003

Owen DeLong wrote:
> The issues that must be addressed are the issues of internet governance,
> control of the root (does Verisign serve ICANN or vice-versa), and
> finally, whether the .com/.net zones belong to the public trust or to
> Verisign.  Focusing on the technical is to fiddle while Rome burns.

This is the part that drives me nuts. Unless a court ordered it
otherwise, the root servers can designate ANYONE as the registry for a
tld. My understanding is that the process for making such changes is
lengthy and involves the agreement of 3 different organizations.
However, on a technical level, such changes are possible, and such a
registry can form agreements with ICANN and the various registrars.

I'm suddenly reminded of .org...

-Jack