data request on Sitefinder

Jack Bates jbates at brightok.net
Tue Oct 21 02:46:42 UTC 2003

todd glassey wrote:
> Richard -
> Do they (Verisign)  have any legal reason to??? - is there anything between
> them and ANY of their clients that requires them to inform them before any
> changes to protocol facilities are made - I think not.

To inform? Not yet, although I have the feeling that this will be
changed due to historic record. However, changes that have an effect are
always analyzed and a course of action chosen. I believe this is the job
of ICANN. At some point, ICANN's power will need to be tested and set in
stone. Only the community can create or strip that power. Yet if an
organization is going to exist to serve the community and maintain
order, then it needs the power to do it.

I think Vixie has alluded to this a few times, and I know there is much
that goes on in the hallways concerning the overall problem of who
controls what. Verisign is just helping to push the process along. I
doubt it will end as they want it to.

-Jack