data request on Sitefinder

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Mon Oct 20 21:09:58 UTC 2003

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 16:31:45 EDT, "Steven M. Bellovin" <smb at research.att.com>  said:

> A number of people havce responded that they don't want to be forced to
> pay for a change that will benefit Verisign.  That's a policy issue I'm
> trying to avoid here.  I'm looking for pure technical answers -- how
> much lead time do you need to make such changes safely?

OK, since you asked....

At least from where I am, the answer will depend *heavily* on whether Verisign
deploys something that an end-user program can *reliably* detect if it's been
fed a wildcard it didn't expect.  Note that making a second lookup for '*.foo'
and comparing the two answers is specifically *NOT* acceptable due to the added
lookup latency (and to some extent, the attendant race conditions and failure
modes as well).

Also note that it has to be done in a manner that can be tested by an
application - there will be a *REAL* need for things like Sendmail to be
able to test for wildcards *without the assistance* of a patched local DNS.

And yes, this means the minimum lead time to deploy is 'amount of time to write
a "Wildcard Reply Bit" I-D, advance through IETF to some reasonable point on
standards track, and then upgrade DNS, end host resolvers, and applications'.