data request on Sitefinder

William Allen Simpson wsimpson at greendragon.com
Mon Oct 20 18:19:36 UTC 2003

Steve Bellovin wrote:

> ... We heard this morning that Postfix is an application that
> will need to be changed to handle the proposed new version of
> Sitefinder's MX record.  Of course, it's generally considered a good
> idea to test sofware before deploying it.
>
> So -- how much notice would the operator community want before
> deploying new software?  What about for enterprises?

Well, that would be a little longer than the time for upgrading from
BIND 4.x to BIND 8.x (oh, that would be 9.x these days, folks were so
slow to upgrade that the major version changed meantime :-)!

I'm pretty sure that's on the order of 4 years or more for operators.

Since Postfix is run by a lot more enterprises than BIND, let's double
that number!  How about, until all the W95 and W98 and W2K servers are
updated....
--
William Allen Simpson