IAB concerns against permanent deployment of edge-based filtering

Eliot Lear lear at cisco.com
Sat Oct 18 20:34:24 UTC 2003

Valdis hits the nail on the head.  And this boils down to something that
I believe is attributable to someone commenting on the old FSP protocol,
perhaps Erik Fair:

    The Internet routes around damage.

Damage can take the form of a broken link, or it can take the form of an
access-list.  In the early '90s, NASA attempted to protect its links
from "unauthorized use" (which in this particular case was porn).  That
caused a whole protocol to be developed (proving the old adage).  Well,
nowadays you don't even need to build a whole protocol- you can just use
HTTP.

And that was the point of Keith's & Ned's RFC on HTTP as a substrate.
Excessive restrictions in firewalls bring about this use, and that makes
the HTTP implementations fairly complex, and it will subvert the
intentions of network administrators.

So as a temporary measure during an active attack, access-lists make
sense.  Over the long haul, however, unless you're going to block
downstream TCP packets with SYN only and ALL OTHER TRAFFIC, IP can run
on just about anything.

Eliot