AOL E.mail issues..

Will Yardley william+nanog at hq.dreamhost.com
Sat Oct 18 18:27:52 UTC 2003

On Sat, Oct 18, 2003 at 10:53:39AM -0700, matthew wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Oct 2003, Robert Mathews wrote:

> > Is anyone experiencing E.mail weirdness, specifically bounces from AOL
> > today at all?  I have spoken to a number of others from various parts
> > of CONUS, who seem to have a similar issue..

> .. while talking to mailin-03.mx.aol.com.:
> <<< 500 SYNTAX ERROR, COMMAND UNRECOGNIZED

I spoke to AOL's main anti-spam guy about this a few weeks back, and he
said (hope he doesn't mind my quoting this here):

    This is, in fact, a block of suspected spam; the code will
    be changed shortly to be more descriptive.

I have noticed this error with some apparently non-bulk and legitimate
mail recently.

AOL's postmaster team has gotten a lot more responsive recently, so
forwarding a copy of the message that bounced to postmaster@ and / or
calling the number at http://postmaster.info.aol.com/ would probably
be good steps to take if you haven't already done so.

--
"Since when is skepticism un-American?
Dissent's not treason but they talk like it's the same..."