IAB concerns against permanent deployment of edge-based filtering

bmanning at karoshi.com bmanning at karoshi.com
Sat Oct 18 18:14:42 UTC 2003

> > I think the IAB has a legitimate point.

	perhaps.  but last I checked, it was the Internet Architecture Board
	not the Internet Operations Board. So form an architectural purity
	perspective, sure, don't filter (and by extention, pull out firewalls
	and NATS.... :)

> > There is a real danger that long-term continued blocking will lead
> > to "everything on one port"

	fair amount of handwaving there.

	prudent/paranoid folk over the years have persuaded me that
	it makes the best sense to only run those applications/services
	that I need to and shut off everything else - until/unless there
	is a demonstrated need for it.

--bill