Fascinating interview with Verisign CEO

JC Dill nanog at vo.cnchost.com
Fri Oct 17 15:35:19 UTC 2003

At 01:17 AM 10/17/2003, Hank Nussbacher wrote:

>http://news.com.com/2008-7347-5092590.html

"Sclavos also says it's time to transfer the responsibility for operating
the root servers from volunteers to the commercial sector. "

No, it's time for ICANN to transfer the responsibility for operating the
root servers away from a commercial company that is trying to profit off of
this *public trust*, and entrust the responsibility to an entity that
understands its rights and responsibilities on this matter.  Verisign has
clearly demonstrated that they DO NOT UNDERSTAND that the data in the root
server is not theirs to use, change at will, or profit on.

When will ICANN demonstrate that they understand their responsibility to
the Internet users who have entrusted them to manage these public resources
and do their job to stop Verisign's power grab over these public
records?  Do we have to recall ICANN now?

jc - in California, where we will now have Governor Arnold because Governor
Gray couldn't get his head wrapped around the idea that he was *entrusted*
to run the state in a responsible manner.