Site Finder

Robert Boyle robert at tellurian.com
Fri Oct 17 01:40:12 UTC 2003

At 09:27 PM 10/16/2003, you wrote:
>I agree that an application level solution at the edge is the best.
>
>I like the idea of having a user configurable parameter in the client
>browser to allow the ``finder'' URL to be set. The browser
>``manufacturer'' would of course put their own default and the ISP would
>be able to ``configure'' their own defaults and the
>end user could ``change'' it to suit their preferences.

>This would allow competing ``URL finder'' type services, allow ISPs to
>fine tune the interface for their customers and allow end users to
>customize their own interface to the ``web''.
>
>Maybe its time for some ``finder'' API specifications,
>mozilla patches, and ``finder'' reference implementations.

The Internet Explorer Administration Kit has enabled this functionality for
many years. We changed our default search page to Google about 3 years ago
for all of our users who install our branded IE and dialer CD.

-Robert

http://www.tellurian.com | 888-TELLURIAN | 973-300-9211
"Good will, like a good name, is got by many actions, and lost by one." -
Francis Jeffrey