possible ORG problems, maybe?

Daniel Senie dts at senie.com
Thu Oct 16 20:21:34 UTC 2003

At 03:30 PM 10/16/2003, Rodney Joffe wrote:

>Bruce Campbell wrote:

[much snipped]

> > Also, did the query that I'm debugging really go to the same host that I
> > just got the real IP address from?
>
>I believe I covered that in my initial response to Randy which you
>snipped. I said:
>
>"> Dan Senie has suggest the inclusion of a TXT record with the same
>data
> > so that the actual ip address of the actual server that responded to the
> > query that had a problem was available. Certainly more standardized and
> > elegant, but a subject for the WG mailing lists."
>
>The RFCs governing dns do not currently allow for the standard return of
>any record type in a dns answer that would indicate the ip address of
>the server being queried. So this valid issue should be addressed, of
>course through the appropriate process.

I am working on an I-D submission on this topic. One of the advantages of
the mechanism I'm writing about is that it'd be applicable to both anycast
environments AND to load balancer environments. I don't know if I'll make
the I-D cutoff or not. If not, it'll get submitted as soon as the gates reopen.