Tomatoes for Verisign at NANOG 29

Howard C. Berkowitz hcb at gettcomm.com
Thu Oct 16 20:43:18 UTC 2003

At 12:45 PM -0700 10/16/03, JC Dill wrote:
>At 11:56 AM 10/16/2003, Chris Strandt wrote:
>
>>Maybe a "vote" at the end of the presentation would be better.
>>
>>After Verisign has to say what they want, it would be interesting
>>to see what the participants think of starting Site Finder again.
>>
>>Its not as press worthy... but it lets Verisign have their say, and
>>gives the community a voice right there on the spot on the issue.
>
>Have a vote with the tomatoes.  All those who oppose the wildcards
>would put their tomatoes or tomato-substitutes in one pile, all
>those who approve of the wildcards would put their token-of-choice
>in another pile.

I'm not sure I really want to think about the
alternate-token-of-choice. Let me stipulate that I was born and
brought up in Northern New Jersey, started as a chemist exposed to
the usual organic chemistry aromas, and STILL consider some things as
smelling bad. :-)

>We need a *visual* way to make the point to Verisign, to ICANN, to
>the press, to the Internet using public who do not understand the
>underlying technical issue.  The press is not going to put this
>story on the wire and carry it on the front page of newspapers
>around the world if the story is "NANOG meeting attendees voted 417
>to 3 to indicate disapproval of Verisign's wildcard scheme in the
>.com and .net root server".  A photo montage showing people buying
>tomatoes, holding tomatoes, placing tomatoes in a pile, a room full
>of people wearing red shirts, etc. THAT is what the press needs to
>get the message out to the people to shame ICANN into doing the
>right thing.  Look at this as a photo-op for NANOG participants to
>collectively make their point known in a visually graphic way.

 From experience back in my more general political days, either have a
see-through bag or basket for the tomatoes. While a nice pyramid
would be nice, without very careful handling, we will have tomatoes
bouncing in all directions.