Site Finder

Will Yardley william+nanog at hq.dreamhost.com
Thu Oct 16 18:25:43 UTC 2003

On Thu, Oct 16, 2003 at 02:08:41PM -0400, Jared Mauch wrote:

> I've been thinking that there should be a new type of
> record introduced to be application specific for HTTP, just as
> MX only applies to smtp.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is basically what SRV records
(rfc2782) are intended for. They're not widely impemented by client
applications, however.

> This would allow anyone to add their own wildcard entries for their
> own redirect services (eg: aol and microsoft could run their own on their
> own nameservers) without impacting the alternate applications.

I think you'd still have the issue of an NXDOMAIN not being returned;
i.e., if there's a wildcard, you won't get an NXDOMAIN response if
there's no A but there is some other record.

--
"Since when is skepticism un-American?
Dissent's not treason but they talk like it's the same..."