Site Finder

Jared Mauch jared at puck.Nether.net
Thu Oct 16 18:08:41 UTC 2003

	I've been thinking that there should be a new type of
record introduced to be application specific for HTTP, just as
MX only applies to smtp.

	Due to a wide variety of applications relying upon A
records as their method, or method of last resort (eg: if no MX,
go directly to the IN A record) perhaps there needs to be some new
HTTP specific record introduced?

	This would allow anyone to add their own wildcard entries for their
own redirect services (eg: aol and microsoft could run their own on their
own nameservers) without impacting the alternate applications.

	This may be a bit late in the picture to apply this, but I'm
sure that the browser people (ms, aol/netscape, mozilla, apple/safari)
would be willing to do the minor additional coding work as it obviously
would mean the ability to redirect the ad revenue to their own services
easier if this were implemented, without all the other damage of intrudcing
flat-out A records in wildcarded zones to be used by the http protocol.

	- Jared

Jared Mauch  | pgp key available via finger from jared at puck.nether.net