more on VeriSign to revive redirect service

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Thu Oct 16 15:56:47 UTC 2003

He's right, and we should actually take our business elsewhere.
Unfortunately,
we can't.  They have a monopoly.  No matter what registrar we use to
register
our domains, that registrar is paying the part of Verislime that is
inflicting
this on us to run the REGISTRY for .com and .net.

The only way to actually vote with our feet is to get ICANN to start working
on finding an alternative registry and cancel their contract with Verislime.
This will be difficult, awkward, and, may introduce short-term instabilities
in the network.

I suspect Verisign will not participate in an orderly hand-over of the
necessary data without a court order, in spite of the provisions in their
contract requiring them to do just that.

Owen

--On Thursday, October 16, 2003 9:31 AM -0400 "McBurnett, Jim"