Pitfalls of annoucing /24s

H. Michael Smith, Jr. michael at awtechnologies.com
Thu Oct 16 03:59:37 UTC 2003

This is a part of the problem.  I realize that large ISPs are probably
against micro-assignments so that they can continue to use address space
to treat customers as indentured servants.  I guess they can skip
Chicago and just filter out any micro-assignments that ARIN may one day
issue.

My biggest gripe on this topic is about ISPs that assign /24's to
multi-homed customers, but filter out /24's received from peers.  Verio
(the example of the day) accepts /24's (that they likely assigned) from
customers but filters these out from others.  Are they expecting their
peers not to filter these /24's or do they really care?  I suppose if
their peers adopt filtering policies such as theirs, they can just tell
their customers "We accept your /24, but the other guy is filtering it
out"

Michael