Pitfalls of annoucing /24s

Forrest forrest at almighty.c64.org
Thu Oct 16 03:57:44 UTC 2003

True enough, but are there any providers currently that filter /24's from
the old Class C space that /24's were assigned directly from?

I realize that if proposal 2002-3 does get passed but everyone filters
those prefixes then it will be a completely worthless proposal, and even
worse than using PA space.

It seems to me that proposal 2002-3 could enable providers to filter more
efficiently however.  They could accept the long prefixes out of the
micro-assignment block, while filtering out all the garbage /24's in the
other space caused by people needlessly announcing every /24 out of their
large aggregate.

Forrest