Fw: Re: Block all servers?

Crist Clark crist.clark at globalstar.com
Wed Oct 15 21:11:12 UTC 2003

Chris Brenton wrote:
[snip]

> True this only works for one to one NAT. Many to one NAT will still
> break IPSec, even if ESP is used alone. This is a functionality issue
> however (IPSec using a fixed source port of 500), rather than a
> "preventing packet modification to thwart man-in-the-middle attacks"
> thing.

IPsec does not use port 500. IKE uses port 500/udp. IKE is an additional
protocol that is widely used to establish SAs and provide keying
materials for IPsec, but it is not required for a compliant IPsec
implementation. In addition, most IKE implementations do not care
whether the source port on a IKE packet is 500/udp or not.

As I explained previously, ESP alone is un-NAT able in the general
case due to the fact that it is a peer-to-peer protocol, not client-to-
server, and the SPIs in either direction are unrelated.
Crist J. Clark                               crist.clark at globalstar.com
Globalstar Communications                                (408) 933-4387