AOL DNS Queries?

Deepak Jain deepak at ai.net
Wed Oct 15 09:07:47 UTC 2003

Over the last 6 weeks, we have been noticing an increase in the #/speed of
AOL DNS queries from say dns-01.ns.aol.com and dns-02.ns.aol.com. (say
~6mb/s of udp 53 alone to a single name server of a cluster). Obviously,
this could be spoofed UDP, but I'd like to know if this is something others
are seeing or something we should configure around.

Has anyone else been noticing anything of this sort? The traffic pattern
only appears on a few of our name servers. Given the slope of the graph, it
could be growth related, it just isn't distributed the way one would
typically expect.

If you are an AOL DNS person, I can send you more information.

Thanks in advance,

Deepak Jain
AiNET