Extreme BlackDiamond

Robert Boyle robert at tellurian.com
Mon Oct 13 20:59:25 UTC 2003

At 04:43 PM 10/13/2003, alex at pilosoft.com wrote:

> > 7600 is also vertical boards whereas the 6500 is horizontal.
>
>Yep, I think from now on, we should make this a primary distinction
>between switch and a router: If a device has vertical line cards, it is a
>router, if horizontal, it is a switch.
>
>Works well for 7500/12000/5x00/6500. ;)

A small problem... all of my 7200s have horizontal line cards as do the
Juniper M5/7/10/20. The smaller 7100, 3700, 3600, 2600 also have horizontal
line cards too. So... here is a correction.

"From now on, we should make this a primary distinction between switch and
a router: If a device has vertical line cards, it is a router, if
horizontal, it is a switch, unless there are two or more vertical slots
within any horizontal slot plane, then it is, in fact, a router."

How does that sound?

-Robert

http://www.tellurian.com | 888-TELLURIAN | 973-300-9211
"Good will, like a good name, is got by many actions, and lost by one." -
Francis Jeffrey