abuse from a user of this list

Brian Bruns bruns at 2mbit.com
Mon Oct 13 17:23:43 UTC 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Booth, Michael (ENG)" <MBooth at corp.as26857.com>
To: "William Allen Simpson" <wsimpson at greendragon.com>
Cc: <nanog at merit.edu>
Sent: Monday, October 13, 2003 7:18 AM
Subject: Re: abuse from a user of this list

> I didn't draw that conclusion at all.  Much the opposite, judging from
> their photo gallery, they seem like a bunch of script kiddies trying to
> make a name for themselves in the "open source community", while bumming
> around for jobs, and doing hosting on their Ameritech DSL in blatant
> violation of their AUP (any guys from SBC on this list?).  I wouldn't take
> them seriously.
>
> Have a listen to http://www.poptix.net/trelane.mp3 for proof of their
> maturity.
>
> Calling someone and telling them to "get a life", in response to a NANOG
> post, is like a  parapalegic telling me I walk funny.

I aint even going to get in the middle of the spat between poptix and
trelane.  Thats their fight, not mine.  I suggest everyone else butt out of
the situation as well.

Now, I _do_ take offense to being called a script kiddie.  I've been doing
development for more then 7 years in various projects under various aliases.
I have never once resorted to the tactics and methods of those who attack
EFNet servers, SPEWS, Sorbs, Osirusoft, etc.  In fact, most of the people
who have been attacked are good friends of mine, and I've been working in
very great detail and using what limited resources and staff we have to help
these people.  With no funding, yeah, we can't match the larger security
groups or companies, but we've survived hell and back and are still standing
on our own feet.  People have yet to learn that we help others because we
like to, because its the right thing, and because this world is seriously
lacking in good guys.

We are a group made up of many cultures, from developers, to end users, to
gamers (which is why we were one of the biggest sponosors of one of the
largest gaming competitions in sweden).  Just because we don't make public
everything we do doesn't mean we don't exist or haven't done good things.

I'm tired of this, I really am.  My family is upset at the growing amount of
harassment, and thats dragging me farther and farther into this mess.  I
have enough health problems to begin with.

On the Ameritech/SBC AUP issue, the only thing I have to say is that we have
a business class DSL line, which is specifically for situations like what we
are doing. Its apparent that we are disliked here by some, but hitting below
the belt by going after our provider isn't going to solve anything or change
anything.

Brian Bruns
Open Solutions For A Closed World / Anti-Spam Resources
http://www.sosdg.org
ICQ: 8077511