Extreme BlackDiamond

Pekka Savola pekkas at netcore.fi
Mon Oct 13 17:13:26 UTC 2003

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003, Mans Nilsson wrote:
> Subject: Re: Extreme BlackDiamond Date: Mon, Oct 13, 2003 at 12:19:20PM -0400 Quoting Haesu (haesu at towardex.com):
> >
> > Don't mean to get off-topic... but speaking the Extremes..
> > Has anyone here had luck with doing some BGP stuff with Sumit 48i?
>
> Not beyond lab setups, but yes, they speak BGP. We are about to
> move KTHNOC to a new datacenter shortly, at which we will speak BGP
> to the world using an Extreme switch.

I'd strongly recommend keeping away from "BGP" Extremes "speak".

Especially if you want to it to work.  We've seen a lot of problems, like
failures to advertise default routes, getting MP-BGP to work at all, etc.
I think the MP-BGP has been unsolved for, what, at least a year now.

Just don't use extremes as routers, and you will be much, much happier. It
_might_ work in the dumbest, unicast-only setups, but I have a lot of
doubts about anything more complex than that.

We made the mistake of one Extreme here as a router, and that has paid us
back with sweat and tears.  We'll be switching it to a Juniper freeing up
soon, and we'll be dancing with joy afterwards.