abuse from a user of this list

Matthew S. Hallacy poptix at techmonkeys.org
Mon Oct 13 16:48:33 UTC 2003

On Mon, Oct 13, 2003 at 12:15:02PM -0400, William Allen Simpson wrote:

> Put me down as caring.  Moreover, as a long-time participant in this
> forum, I'm particularly concerned about even anecdotal evidence that
> one of our posters is mounting an attack on another.

For clarification, no, I had nothing to do with the attacks on his network,
from what I've gathered they were the result of Andrew taunting the wrong
group of people with something like "haha, i've got you now, i'm calling
the FBI", not very intelligent.

http://www.poptix.net/trelane.mp3

The voicemail that was left on my phone, the voice and words of person
who needs to get a grip.

I made no threats against him, I expressed my lack of sympathy for the
playground bully who is now receiving what he's dished out so many times
before.

> It saddens me that ostensible college students have grammar problems,
> but that stoops to an "ad hominem" attack.  Please cease.

I felt it was the only thing even nearly relevant to the list.

> Based on the web pages at http://2mbit.com/ and http://www.sosdg.org/,
> I see an effort to improve the community not found at either
> http://www.poptix.net nor http://techmonkeys.org/.

I create and host documents with information that is scarce, and useful,
if it's not useful to you, there is a link to Google in there somewhere.

http://techmonkeys.org is not mine, nor do I control the content therein.

> Mayhap all persons involved are young.  Never-the-less, I'd like to
> encourage security awareness.  I remember a decade ago, I was an
> immortal on a local MUD, and helped a promising fellow there who
> eventually went to work for rediris.es.

Security awareness is one thing, complaining to nanog because your DSL
is under attack is not going to benefit anyone, it had no impact on
anyone beyond the end user, afaik. If everyone reported every attack on
their home DSL/Cable/dialup to nanog, the S/N ratio would drop like a rock.
(if that's still possible)

> I'd say you need to contact your FBI office.

Personally, I'd start by evaluating if there was something I could do to
not incur further attacks.

The FBI is not going to care, nor have they ever when it was an incident
like this.