Abuse Departments

Brian Bruns bruns at 2mbit.com
Sun Oct 12 15:20:05 UTC 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Matthew S. Hallacy" <poptix at techmonkeys.org>
To: "Matt" <acheron at qwest.net>; <nanog at merit.edu>
Sent: Sunday, October 12, 2003 3:18 AM
Subject: Re: Abuse Departments

> Most places will take care of abuse issues if they get to the right
person,
> but some places simply won't wake up their network admin at 11:00 on a
saturday
> night because some script kiddie's DSL is getting attacked by another
> script kiddie on IRC.

Watch yourself poptix - you don't have such a squeaky clean past either.

Point is this.  If your network/servers are being used in an attack against
someone else, you can be held responsible if you do not act in a timely
manner.

This "script kiddie's DSL" is actually a shared setup with several servers
on the end of it and a firewall.  What happens to it also affects me and my
customers.  When my customers go down, I get complaints.

Now, if your network was attacking mine from a comprimised box, and you
failed to act in a timely fashion, regardless if its a DSL or a T1 or a
dialup for that matter, I'd either sue you myself for allowing the attack to
continue, or give my customers your info and let THEM sue you for it.