Abuse Departments

Matthew S. Hallacy poptix at techmonkeys.org
Sun Oct 12 07:18:45 UTC 2003

On Sun, Oct 12, 2003 at 01:54:28AM -0500, Matt wrote:

> I think he does make a fair observation about the state of many abuse
> departments today.  How many posts do we see on here requesting someone
> with a clue in abuse from some domain in the average month?

And how many of them are taken care of by pointing them to Jared's NOC
list?

I recently had an issue with an open proxy/relay within berkeley.edu's resnet,
I shot off an email at around 2:30am CST, got a reply within 20 minutes,
and the box was off the net within an hour.

Most places will take care of abuse issues if they get to the right person,
but some places simply won't wake up their network admin at 11:00 on a saturday
night because some script kiddie's DSL is getting attacked by another
script kiddie on IRC.