New mail blocks result of Ralsky's latest attacks?

Fred Baker fred at cisco.com
Sun Oct 12 06:17:27 UTC 2003

At 09:07 AM 10/10/2003, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
>Out of curiousity, has anyone tried turning this over to law
>enforcement?  It's another form of hacking, but the money trail back
>through the spammers might provide enough evidence for prosecution.

 From my read, it sounds sufficient in its own right. This month's
Communications of the ACM has an interesting article on addressing it as
"trespass on chattel" - attacking someone's property in a manner that
reduces their ability to use it or uses it without their permission for
purposes they don't agree with. Breaking into a server and using it for a
purpose its own doesn't authorize sounds a lot like trespass against
chattel to me.

It might be interesting for him to wake up in the morning with 50 lawsuits
at his door seeking damages in the quantity of money spent horsing around
with him.