BellSouth prefix deaggregation (was: as6198 aggregation event)

Terry Baranski tbaranski at mail.com
Sun Oct 12 05:18:59 UTC 2003

More on this -

Two of BellSouth's AS's (6197 & 6198) have combined to inject around
1,000 deaggregated prefixes into the global routing tables over the last
few weeks (in addition to their usual load of ~600+ for a total of
~1,600).

This does indeed appear to be having an operational impact on some
folks, an example of which is here:

http://isp-lists.isp-planet.com/isp-bgp/0310/msg00059.html

The vast majority (if not all) of these prefixes are covered within
aggregates announced by BellSouth AS6389, which acts as an upstream to
these and around 20 other BellSouth AS's. (These other AS's combine for
another ~700 deaggregated announcements, meaning that BellSouth may
currently be advertising more deaggregated prefixes into the global
routing tables than any other entity.)  Some of these AS's appear to use
Qwest as backup transit, so presumably the motive behind the vast
deaggregation is failover.  Is there a better way of achieving this than
forcing the Internet to store ~2,300 extra routes?

Can anyone from BellSouth comment?  What if a few other major ISPs were
to add a thousand or so deaggregated routes in a few weeks time?  Would
there be a greater impact?

(Note: The above numbers are based on data from cidr-report.org.  Some
other looking glasses were also checked to see if cidr-report.org's view
of these AS's is consistent with the Internet as a whole.  This appears
to be the case, but corrections are welcome.)

-Terry