internet consumers forum?

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Sat Oct 11 16:55:24 UTC 2003

On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 12:06:22 EDT, Richard Welty <rwelty at averillpark.net>  said:

> i've sent some time (at least 20 minutes) considering that while there are
> forums for operators and engineers to discuss issues (nanog, ietf, others
> too numerous to mention), there aren't really forums for informed consumers
> of internet services to exchange notes (or for uninformed consumers to
> become informed.)

There used to be Usenet, but then the spammers found it.

Remember that Nanog probably has *significant* market penetration - I'll hazard
a guess that at least 40-50% of the service providers in the US have at least one
person lurking here.  Now consider the number of consumers of network services
in the US, and estimate what a 1% market penetration would be.

Ask yourself:  How do I keep spammers out of a group that size?  And if I don't
reach that size, what good am I really doing?