Why not UUNet too? (was Re: first Yahoo, now RoadRunner?)

Crist Clark crist.clark at globalstar.com
Fri Oct 10 17:00:53 UTC 2003

Since the topic is mysterious rejections from MTAs, I have one from
UUNet. One of our business partners has UUNet for an ISP and is using
UUNet for a tertiary MTA. Occasionally, mail ends up going to that MTA
(quite often actually, their primary gets unresponsive from time to time
and I've _never_ actually been able to reach the secondary) and gets
bounced at the "MAIL FROM:",

  $ telnet relay.eu.mail.uu.net 25
  Trying 199.171.54.122...
  telnet: connect to address 199.171.54.122: Connection refused
  Trying 199.171.54.202...
  telnet: connect to address 199.171.54.202: Operation timed out
  Trying 199.171.54.203...
  telnet: connect to address 199.171.54.203: Operation timed out
  Trying 199.171.54.245...
  Connected to relay.eu.mail.uu.net.
  Escape character is '^]'.
  220 mr0.ash.ops.us.uu.net ESMTP Please see http://www.worldcom.com/global/terms/a_u_p/ for Acceptable Use Policy
  HELO gibraltar.globalstar.com
  250 mr0.ash.ops.us.uu.net Hello gibraltar.globalstar.com [207.88.248.142], pleased to meet you
  MAIL FROM:<cclark at globalstar.com>
  550 no
  QUIT
  221 mr0.ash.ops.us.uu.net closing connection
  Connection closed by foreign host.

Quite a helpful error message there, "550 no." (That's not even to mention
the addresses that time out or aren't listening on 25/tcp. I see seven A
records for that domain name.)

Has anyone out there an idea of why UUNet does not like our domain? I would
_guess_ the problem might be some weird spam filter, but AFAIK, our domain
and IP space is damn clean WRT spam. The AUP link is not any help.
Crist J. Clark                               crist.clark at globalstar.com
Globalstar Communications                                (408) 933-4387