Wired mag article on spammers playing traceroute games with trojaned boxes

Michael.Dillon at radianz.com Michael.Dillon at radianz.com
Fri Oct 10 11:09:58 UTC 2003

>With all due respect, we have a *problem*. End user machines on
>broadband connections are being misconfigured and/or compromised in
>frightening numbers.  These machines are being used for everything
>from IRC flooder to spam engines, to DNS servers to massive DDoS
>infrastructure. If the ability of a teenager to launch a gb/s DDoS,
>or of someone DoSing mailservers off the internet with a trojan that
>contains a spam engine is not operational, perhaps it's just me
>that's confused.

Why don't you come to the next NANOG in Miami
in February and give a presentation on how people
are doing these things? The trouble with a mailing
list discussion is that it wanders all over the place.
But at NANOG you could focus on the network
operational issues of these networks of compromised
machines.

--Michael Dillon