Block all servers?

Michael.Dillon at radianz.com Michael.Dillon at radianz.com
Fri Oct 10 10:26:00 UTC 2003

>I think it's more complicated than "prevent residential users from
>hosting servers".

You're right. As soon as we begin talking about
what all ISPs should do, we are out of the realm
of technical solutions and into the realm of
psychology and politics. After all, we first have
to convince all ISPs that something should be done
and we have to demonstrate that there is a way to
present the action to customers so that the customers
will accept it.

Customers generally don't like ISPs to tell them
"you can't do this" unless there is a very well
reasoned argument attached.

I suggest that people should start thinking about
ways to incorporate security services into their
broadband access products and allow customers the
choice of paying for the security services monthly
to the ISP or paying up front one time by buying
a broadband router.

NANOG could help by collecting together some of the
technical information about the various broadband
routers so that ISPs have an exhaustive and definitive
source to refer to.

--Michael Dillon

P.S. I have always used a router on my Internet connection
even when it was only a dialup connection. Back then it
was a FreeBSD box running TIS firewalls toolkit. Today it's
a Speedstream 510 DSL router.