contact at yahoo mail? (they think we're an open relay :< )

Mark Jeftovic markjr at easydns.com
Fri Oct 10 01:39:46 UTC 2003

>From what we can tell, its a type of "throttling" mechanism, perhaps
intended to slow down problematic hosts.

We went back in our logs and found its been happening for weeks but at
a low level, we never noticed until today.

Today it got much worse, but even so, mail would trickle through to
yahoo, one second we get the refusal and the next a few emails would
be accepted.

So I'm not sure they've fixed it, they may have toned it back down to
the levels we saw from our older logs.

At the time of writing this I think its better than it was earlier:

spawn:/home/markjr/tmp# telnet mx1.mail.yahoo.com 25
Trying 64.157.4.78...
Connected to mta-v22.level3.mail.yahoo.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 YSmtp mta107.mail.sc5.yahoo.com ESMTP service ready
quit

and then the next second:

221 mta107.mail.sc5.yahoo.com
Connection closed by foreign host.
spawn:/home/markjr/tmp# telnet mx1.mail.yahoo.com 25
Trying 64.157.4.79...
Connected to mta-v23.level3.mail.yahoo.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
553 Mail from 216.220.40.247 not allowed - VS99-IP1 deferred - see
help.yahoo.com/help/us/mail/defer/defer-02.html (#5.7.1)
Connection closed by foreign host.

Same deal on mx2, looks about 50/50 for a while, then blocks us out
for a few minutes.

It's definitely still happening, if I had to guess I'd say maybe its
eased somewhat.

-mark

--
Mark Jeftovic <markjr at easydns.com>