Finding clue at comcast.net

Howard C. Berkowitz hcb at gettcomm.com
Thu Oct 9 21:20:06 UTC 2003

*sigh* Y'know, I could live with it if I could even have a mailbox to
which I could send detailed trouble reports, even if no one looked at
them on the next day.  While their routing seems to be fairly stable
these days, there would be times I'd traceroute from several sites I
could reach and take views from multiple looking glasses, giving me a
pretty fair idea where, and even what, the problem is.

The customer disservice people that really drive me nuts are the
first-levels that believe they are NEVER wrong.

If you say there's an IP routing problem, they may say "how do you
know there's a problem with our ippp(rhymes with pip)?"

"We don't support SMTP or POP3. You have to use Outlook.."

"You must remove your firewall and router so we can troubleshoot."

"It's irrelevant that you can ping the access router. It must be your
modem. Go to the local office and exchange it."

"I'm sure the problem will be resolved, so there's no reason to give
you a trouble ticket"

"b'gop? bajop? We don't support bee-gee-pee in our network."

"access router? We just have Windows servers."

>* Exactly what I described above. But I wouldn't accept "hopefully somebody
>would respond". That is NOT acceptable. Someone should respond within 1
>business day at most. Again your not going to find many on-call or
>higher-level support reading email after-hours and responding to things.
>Even I couldn't do it ALL of the time. And I was the only one doing that in
>a local cable company (not a national company) with 2 cities.

I'd be happy, again, if they'd let me give them a trouble ticket.
Oh, they have told me at times that I could do that at their website,
which is an interesting problem when you don't have connectivity.

I'd gladly pay extra for dial backup at low speed, but they don't offer that.

>>  At the time, I was paying for their "Pro" service, intermediate
>>  between regular residential and full business. My contact said that
>>  while that was supposed to get better customer support, an early plan
>>  to route it to business Comcast failed, and there really was NO
>  > separate Pro support organization. I dropped the Pro service after I
>>  learned that residential service no longer insisted you remove any
>>  local routers and firewalls before deigning to troubleshoot. They
>>  still ask you to do that, but repeated NO responses can get them to
>>  proceed.
>* Pro services, where I was working, gets escalated like the above
>description I wrote. If you are not completely down you're probably not
>going to see something done about it until the next business day (assuming
>after-hours).

They treated completely-down situations like that.

>>  A few NANOGs back (Atlanta), I did a presentation on customer
>>  satisfaction, which, frankly, was in many respects a case study of
>>  how I'd reform customer support at my then ISP/DSL, cais.net. If
>>  NANOG ever did formal documents, I'd like to see a guideline on how
>>  to run customer support.
>* I saw you powerpoint and I liked it.
>

>>  >
>>  >In any case, if you manage to get the call escalated a couple of times
>>  >(after lying about rebooting your computer 47 times),
>>
>>  You forgot reinstalling Windows. On a Mac.
>>
>* Typicall front line support (should) be able to figure out if you are
>reporting a problem with your connection, e.g. your cable modem is not
>"acquired" or you have no IP connectivity or DNS resolution, or if you are
>reporting something else that needs escalation to a higher level of support
>(or to the cable company on-call). Again the rules of engagement I described
>above about number of calls on one cable node and how long it has been down
>(need 15-30 minutes). [Some things in outside plant reset themselves
>automatically].
>
>A lot of cable companies are likely new to providing PRO services. Also
>remember a lot of cable companies just recently took the ISP infrastructure
>in-house after having outsourced for many years to companies like
>Excite at Home and ISPChannel. Also some of these outsourced call centers
>surely don't have the ISP support background they need. The one I was at,
>wether they'd admit it or not, learned a lot from me. I came from small ISP
>dial-up support where I was everything as well as working at a Latin
>American Countries ISP aggregator. So I wasn't made from the same mold as
>many of these newer personnel you will come across. Things may have to
>escalate to a pretty high level to find someone with the kind of clue to
>have dealt with knowledgeable customers ... especially Internet Core NSP
>persons.

A few times, mostly at 2nd level, someone recognizes my name from one
of my books -- and gets helpful. Indeed, in some of those trouble
calls, they set up a conference call and I did some tutorials.