contact at yahoo mail? (they think we're an open relay :< )

Damian Gerow damian at sentex.net
Thu Oct 9 21:02:23 UTC 2003

Thus spake Mark Jeftovic (markjr at easydns.com) [09/10/03 16:57]:
> Today our email forwarders started getting this from yahoo.com
> mail handlers:
>
> 553 Mail from 216.220.40.247 not allowed - VS99-IP1 deferred - see
> help.yahoo.com/help/us/mail/defer/defer-02.html (#5.7.1)
> Connection closed by foreign host.

Woah.  Deja vu.

We got exactly the same thing, starting last night.  We've worked around it
by relaying mail to yahoo.com/yahoo.ca through a different mail server.

> Which when you go look at that page basically tells you you're probably
> an open relay (which we're not), etc.

Ditto.  The page also has some links to removal requests, which I've already
filled out.  And submitted a followup asking /why/ we were listed.  This was
about seven hours ago now, and I haven't even gotten an autoresponse from
them yet, for this note.

> Can any mail admins at Yahoo contact me offlist, or post what the
> restrictions are or at what levels this will kick in?

Apparently, they blacklist you at whim -- our mail server is confirmed
un-open-relay by ordb.org, and by rlytest.  And we can be blacklisted for up
to 60 days at their discretion, according to the page above.

I have also sent a message to postmaster@, who was most unhelpful.
Basically redirected me to the 'I need help with Yahoo! mail' web page.

I /was/ going to wait until tomorrow to follow up on NANOG, but if a Yahoo!
admin is already looking at this for easydns.com, care to drop me a line for
the same reasons?  Thanks.

  - Damian