History of unannounced changes to the DNS core

Sean Donelan sean at donelan.com
Thu Oct 9 05:48:44 UTC 2003

Try to match the quotes up with the actions.

  Postel gave no prior notification that the test would take place, a
  fact that drew criticism.

  "It's caused a good deal of uncertainty and perceived instability in
  the system," said Chris Clough, a spokesman for Network
  Solutions, which operates under a contract with the National
  Science Foundation. "It's a concern about who can authorize
  changes over the infrastructure and traffic patterns of the Internet."
	- Associated Press, February 4 1998

  "We're very concerned,"  Becky Burr, administrator with the Commerce
  Department, said Tuesday.  "This was undertaken without consultation
  with the United States government."

  People trying to visit the popular Internic directory which checks
  the availability of a new Web address are unexpectedly being swept
  automatically instead to the home page for Network Solutions Inc., which
  offers to register Internet addresses with the com, net or org suffixes
  for $119.
	- Associated Press, March 24 1999

  NSI, naturally, has a different point of view.
  "The registry information is our proprietary information." says NSI
  spokesman Chris Clough. "We've been providing it free to the community,
  but under the contract, all of the intellectual property gathered
  through the InterNIC process is our proprietary information."
	- ABC News, March 7 1999