News coverage, Verisign etc.

Patrick W. Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Wed Oct 8 22:10:56 UTC 2003

-- On Wednesday, October 8, 2003 14:08 -0700
-- Dave Crocker <dhc at dcrocker.net> supposedly wrote:

> In any event, the problem is not that the semantics of the word are wrong
> in this case, but that using the word just serves to inflame. I was
> particularly heartened that yesterday's meeting was conducted in a
> thoroughly professional tone, with folks offering clear and practical
> expressions of their views.

Since I was not at the meeting, just read the press accounts, I am
interested in this.  I got the distinct impression that, although
"professional", Verisign was making an effort to keep things on a purely
technical track.  And then afterwards claimed that "nothing broke" since
Joe User could get to www.[webpage].com.

This is not the attitude of someone trying to work through the process to a
mutual resolution.  It is the attitude of someone who is trying to work the
process so they can claim some type of validity to their (pre-determined)
decision.

As someone who was there, would you care to comment on my impression?
Happy to be wrong, I certainly would love it if Verisign is actually doing
"the right thing".

--
TTFN,
patrick