Verisign on Process

Tom (UnitedLayer) tom at unitedlayer.com
Wed Oct 8 18:43:40 UTC 2003

On Wed, 8 Oct 2003, Howard C. Berkowitz wrote:
> Gomes' position truly bothers me if a registry, given that it meets
> the formal definition of a technical monopoly, is planning around
> competitive advantage.

I think its definately a sign that the verisign hegemony over domain
registration needs to be removed. If they're going to be so irresponsible
as to misuse a public trust, they need to be nixed.

> Other speakers pointed out that the functionality of Sitefinder could
> be implemented at the edge, not breaking the end-to-end assumption
> and still allowing innovation. Internet Explorer, for example, has
> such functionality.
>
> MS and VS. Reminds me of some recent wars where observers were sad
> that only one side could lose. :-)

I think that might be one way to have Verisign quashed - use the
monopolies to smash eachother.
Think about how much money MS lost due to sitefinder...