Transit and Paid Peering Exchanges

Freedman David David.Freedman at netscalibur.co.uk
Wed Oct 8 12:54:49 UTC 2003

As far as I remember Band-X (http://www.band-x.com) do this.

Dave.

-----Original Message-----
From: Daniel Golding
To: Dennis Jewth
Cc: nanog at merit.edu
Sent: 08/10/03 10:11
Subject: Re: Transit and Paid Peering Exchanges

Dennis,

I'm not really looking at normal exchanges where some participants offer
transit or partial transit. I'm looking at exchange fabrics specifically
set
up for the purpose of selling services, be they transit, partial
transit, or
paid peering.

Most of these exchanges have web based administration, route servers,
flow
accounting, or some other combination of services. A good example is
Equinix's Equinix Direct. Equinix maintains a series of exchange fabrics
that are primarily for settlement free peering, but also has exchange
fabrics set up, specifically, for buyers and sellers of services.

Telehouse in NYC was doing something like this, as well. I'm not sure
how
far it has progressed.

Thanks,
Dan

> From: "Dennis Jewth" <Dennis.Jewth at xchangepoint.net>
> Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2003 10:03:41 +0100
> To: "Daniel Golding" <dgolding at burtongroup.com>
> Cc: <nanog at merit.edu>
> Subject: Re: Transit and Paid Peering Exchanges
>
> Hi Daniel
>
> Really you need to reword that as exchanges used for peering and
transit
> provision/delivery, over which some networks may be paying for peering
> sessions.
>
> We run a MAN in London connecting 7 co-lo's (including THouse North)
that is
> used as the
> delivery platform for transit from the Carriers to ISPs and hosting
> companies. We are also a peering point.
>
> Paid peering is more common in the US. In Europe some of the larger
networks
> are talking about offering paid peering (and there may be already few
doing
> it). It's to
> get that info out in the open from those doing it that's harder (hence
your
> mail
> to Nanog, no doubt).
>
> Are you looking at partial transit as well?
>
> Dennis Jewth
> XchangePoint Europe
> www.xchangepoint.net

Email Disclaimer can be viewed at: