VeriSign list (was: sitefinder ...)

Howard C. Berkowitz hcb at gettcomm.com
Tue Oct 7 13:47:15 UTC 2003

At 9:27 AM -0400 10/7/03, William Allen Simpson wrote:
>Mark Kosters wrote:
>>
>>  In the interest in gaining more community review and comment, a discussion
>>  list has been setup to discuss factually-based technical issues
>>  and solutions surrounding the operational impact of wildcards in
>>  top-level domains on Internet applications.
>>
>We already have such mailing lists.
>
>  1) for technical "specification of message formats, message handling,
>     and data formats used for DNS client-server and server-server
>     communication": http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/
>
>     A lively moderated discussion of wildcards is already underway.
>
>  2) for "[i]ssues surrounding the operation of DNS, recommendations
>     concerning the configuration of DNS servers, and other issues with
>     the use of the protocol": http://ops.ietf.org/lists/ops-area/
>

>>  VeriSign technical people will participate in discussions that are within
>>  the scope for this mailing list.
>>
>VeriSign technical people should have participated elsewhere, and this
>mess might have been less likely to occur.
>
>I will not participate in a VeriSign sponsored list, as that might
>give fodder for another "press release" claiming network operators and
>designers had reviewed and approved the VeriSign changes.  I recommend
>that others only join neutral unaffiliated discussion lists.

Judging by my troubles in signing up for it -- and, sort of as a
matter of crochety pride, I am NOT going to go through a browser to
sign up for a mailing list (at least run by people who ought to know
better about email but seem to assume the World is the Web), the list
may become moot.

I thought I was on namedroppers, but I haven't seen a message in a
long time and will make a point of resubscribing.