Verisign's public opinion play

Howard C. Berkowitz hcb at gettcomm.com
Tue Oct 7 13:22:10 UTC 2003

At 8:13 AM -0400 10/7/03, Kee Hinckley wrote:
>At 10:27 AM +0100 10/7/03, Michael.Dillon at radianz.com wrote:
>>  >I think this list may be a very good choice of where to construct
>>>such a response.
>>
>>Are you being paid by Verisign?
>>A "constructed" response is the worst thing we could
>>do. Everyone should write their own responses in their
>>own words based on their own experiences or their own
>>skills and knowledge. That's the only way to demonstrate
>>that Verisign was wrong, wrong, wrong.
>
>I have to disagree.  Verisign is playing this game with considerable
>political savvy.  Disparate responses of varying quality do not get
>the media's attention, and they play right into Verisign's hands,
>because they have characterized this as a dispute between a
>respectable, secure and reliable company against a bunch of
>scattered techies.  I don't think that sending those letters and
>writing those articles does any harm per se, however I think the
>focus should be in providing technical *and marketing* ammunition to
>ICANN and focusing our defense there.  A single organization pushing
>a message over and over is more likely to get press attention.  Note
>also that we are at a considerable disadvantage in that our
>discussions of what approach to take our taking place in public
>forums ("Hi, Verisign").  Nothing like advance warning.

True. But even if it gives some warning to Verisign, the very
openness of the process contrasts with the way they did things --
and, if made clear, could be newsworthy.  Individuals speaking to the
press, Congress, Homeland Security, etc., need not give early warning.

>The other thing I think would help is to paint the picture in terms
>that the general public can understand.  Verisign can do this
>because the "benefit" is something that web users understand.  Type
>something wrong--get a search page.  Most of the drawbacks are much
>more technical.  I have an idea in this space, I'll post it later
>today. The other thing we should focus on is process.  Verisign is
>claiming that we fight innovation and commercialization of the
>internet (pretty wacko, given the business we are in).  The fact of
>the matter is that there are established procedures for innovating
>the core technology of the internet, and they didn't follow them.
>We need to push the fact that they didn't just break the internet,
>they broke the rules, and this "innocent company being held back by
>techies" ploy is a bunch of garbage.

Exactly. The most fundamental problem of education here is that the
Internet is more than the Web, even for nontechnical users. I'm
certainly not privy to Verisign's business plans, but Sitefinder
seems to have an inherent assumption that Web browsing is all anyone
wants to do.

Even staying with the Web, there may well be ways the Verisign-style
TLD wildcard could carry supplemental information that doesn't break
existing software but could carry optional redirection information
that could work with such things as content distribution or failover,
yet not break anything. I freely admit that I am not a DNS designer
but have an operational-level understanding; if I do make design
claims, it's in routing and closely related management. I do have a
few thoughts.

Perhaps a lifetime supply of "Be conservative in what you send, be
liberal in what you accept" T-shirts might be commissioned by
Verisign.

>I'm not sure if it helps in this argument to rehash all the other
>problems with Verisign (like, how they managed to take the
>guaranteed cash cow of domain registration and manage it so
>insecurely and with such poor customer service that we all ran
>quickly to other registrars).  Certainly it would be good to counter
>their public image, but it probably should be done separately from
>this issue.
>--

:-) there WAS a "cash cow" in an old Nortel commercial; maybe we
should see if, like myself, she's an ex-Nortel employee that could
join the effort. Ah, corporate speak...I wasn't laid off, or even
downsized or rightsized. My boss (a great person) sadly call me to
tell me, in Approved Nortelspeak, that I had been "optimized".  Great
flashback to George Orwell.