CCO/cisco.com issues.

Matt acheron at qwest.net
Tue Oct 7 04:43:04 UTC 2003

As the bandwidth ramps up on the access side, this problem is only going
to become more and more prevalent (as if it's not already enough of a
problem).  While I don't think filtering is the silver bullet, it can
certainly help at times.  I think some of the larger watch sites (eg
SANS, etc.) out there have the right idea - even though reactive in
nature, almost real-time dissemination of attack vectors and trending of
  methods goes a long way towards slowing down some of these attacks.
Unfortunately, these single target attacks, such as attacks on Cisco,
Ebay, Yahoo, etc. cannot be entirely thwarted if the attacker(s) is/are
determined enough.  We could go down the client side discussion (you
know, the one about certain software vendors, etc.) but that topic has
already been covered in great length.