Is there anything that actually gets users to fix their computers?

Kee Hinckley nazgul at somewhere.com
Tue Oct 7 02:18:27 UTC 2003

At 8:15 PM -0400 10/6/03, Jeffrey S. Young wrote:
>It's a difficult thing for all of us when j.random users start to discover
>things like personal firewall.  I had one threaten me personally with
>'investigation' by the FBI because "my system was attempting to break
>into his PC"  He sent it to my account, no cc: to abuse.

I'm quite sure these are off topic.  But I have to say my favorite
response came early in the wormalert hoax, when I was attempting to
respond by hand to people asking them to stop sending us email.  I
received this reply.

>Gather evil into your briars
>Reflect negativity back to its sender
>all ill will or any blight
>Snatch from the air and send it back in flight
>Seek out the one who did this deed
>That it return to them thrice
>by magick's creed
>Hence more contact made by he
>spew his negativity back times three.
>
>So Mote It Be

I'd never been formally cursed before.  Sure beats a DoS attack.

--
Kee Hinckley
http://www.messagefire.com/         Next Generation Spam Defense

everyone else's.