CCO/cisco.com issues.

jlewis at lewis.org jlewis at lewis.org
Mon Oct 6 23:38:38 UTC 2003

On Mon, 6 Oct 2003, Allan Liska wrote:

> KS> The following well-remembered lines come to mind here, and excuse me if
> KS> you hear a slight hysterical laughter from my direction:
>
> I don't know what your post has to do with the original topic, but if
> you don't like the way NONOG is moderated, please feel free to start
> your own Network Operators mailing list.

I'm only guessing here, but I think what he may have meant was:

First They Came for the IRC bots
and I did not speak out
because I did not run a bot.
Then They Came for the IRC servers
and I did not speak out
because I did not run an IRC server.
...skip a few years...
Then They Came for the DNSBLs
and I did not speak out
because I did not run a DNSBL.

Now that they've come for cisco, maybe law enforcement, network operators,
and router vendors will all get their $h!t together and do something to
put a stop to these DDoS attacks that have been going on in various forms
for several years.

A handful of people (an assumption on my part) have the power /
distributed bandwidth to bring just about any internet site/network to its
knees using the distributed.net meets DoS tools they've created and
distributed to thousands, perhaps millions of internet connected windows
boxes.

Anyone who doesn't think that's an operational issue, just wait until it
bites you on the ass.

 Atlantic Net                |