Security v. Privacy (was Re: Is there anything that actually gets users to fix their computers?)

Sean Donelan sean at donelan.com
Sun Oct 5 21:44:05 UTC 2003

On Sun, 5 Oct 2003, Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:
> > So from an ISPs point of view, is there a way for the ISP to quickly
> > tell the customer if the particular computer is fixed without unduly
>
> Isolate his IP and have all outbound http redirected to a page that
> says "please call [escalated tech support number]" to get this fixed.
>
> Seems to be the only reasonably foolproof way.

I think you missed the point.  The problem isn't notification.

Customer calls the escalated tech support number is swears the problem
is fixed.  Should the tech support person just take the customer's word
that the problem is fixed and turn their connection back on?

What happens a few hours later when you start getting complaints again
about the same customer?  Do you turn the connection off again.  And
then the customer again swears they have the problem fixed.  How many
times do you repeat the process?  Other than taking the customer's
word, is their any way for the ISP to verify the customer has fixed
their computer before turning the connection on again?