Cheap temperature sensors

Simon Lockhart simon.lockhart at bbc.co.uk
Sat Oct 4 06:46:53 UTC 2003

On Fri Oct 03, 2003 at 10:34:59PM -0700, Bill Woodcock wrote:
> Try $130.  These are what Citylink uses, and we're installing now.
>
> http://www.digitemp.com/dt1a-isp.shtml

This is very similar to what I'm just starting to use. I've got the
DS9097U attached to our Lantronix console server (but anything which does
9600 baud and can generate a Break will do), and I hang a daisy-chain
of iButton temperature probes off of that.

The 1wire protocol is a little wierd in places, but I've written several
chunks of code to interrogate these iButtons (both direct attached via 9097
and 9097U, and also 9097U via console server), and am just in the process of
integrating into our management systems.

All in all, a very cheap solution - you can get a working 1 probe system
for about $50 if you buy the eval kit, or much less if you buy the bits
individually.

Simon
--
Simon Lockhart          |   Tel: +44 (0)1628 407720 (x37720) | Si fractum
Technology Manager      |   Fax: +44 (0)1628 407701 (x37701) | non sit, noli