Will reverting DNS wildcard have any adverse affects?

Mike Batchelor mikebat at tmcs.net
Fri Oct 3 23:50:21 UTC 2003

--On Friday, October 03, 2003 7:36 PM -0400 Gerald <gcoon at inch.com> wrote:

> I just wanted to point out if anyone did something other than just
> patching bind and moving on, consider the repercussions of Verisign
> reverting or you might have your weekend plans averted to undo your
> changes.
>
> Gerald Coon

I only changed the service that was most drastically affected, my anti-spam
relays.  I put in a HACK() that restored the "sender domain must exist"
behavior to sendmail, when a sender domain resolved to the SiteFinder
address.  I figured my measures ought to affect as little as possible, and
address only real operational problems that the wildcards caused.

I am optimistic that this is the last time we'll see any wildcards in any
gTLDs.

---
"The avalanche has already begun. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
 -- Kosh