ISP network registration virus scan

Sean Donelan sean at donelan.com
Fri Oct 3 23:42:25 UTC 2003

The university netreg lists has a frequently asked question if its
possible to perform a virus scan of new computers as part of the network
registration process.  So far, people have only been able to do a network
scan (e.g. open ports), or some version of proxy check or nessus.

But none of those actually tell you if there is a worm or trojan. I was
wondering if anyone (or vendor) has come up with a web application which
ISP's could use to check if new customers are already infected with a
network worm or trojan (not a full disk scan) as part of the registration
process.

It seems like several of the anti-virus vendors have the parts and pieces,
but none of them seem to offer such a product for ISPs.  I would think
an ActiveX application could check for the top 20 or so network trojans or
worms (less than 1 minute to do the checks), and report the results back
to the ISP (or university) network registration web site.

Between universities (with new students) and ISPs (with new customers)
there would seem to be a new market for such a product.  But so far
I haven't found an AV vendor that has put it together.