VeriSign Capitulates

Wayne E. Bouchard web at typo.org
Fri Oct 3 21:10:42 UTC 2003

It may not be a hearing but they can still appeal.

   If, during this period, further technical and operational evaluations
   of the changes made by VeriSign on 15 September indicate that those
   measures can be reinstated, or reinstated with modifications, without
   adverse effects, I will initiate the process to modify the .com and
   .net agreements to allow those changes to take place. We will use best
   efforts to complete these evaluations in a timely manner.

   If, on the other hand, these ongoing evaluations confirm the claimed
   adverse effects on the Internet, the DNS or the .com and .net domains
   that have been publicized to date, or raise new concerns of that type,
   those concerns will have to be resolved prior to any reintroduction of
   these changes. If any such concerns cannot be resolved, and VeriSign
   continues to seek to implement the service, it will be necessary to
   make recourse to the dispute resolution provisions of the two
   agreements.

This doesn't say it WILL reappear, only that it MAY. Then again, there
aren't a whole lot of modifications that can be made to
"* IN A 64.94.110.11" so we'll see..

On Fri, Oct 03, 2003 at 10:57:04PM +0200, Rafi Sadowsky wrote:

> ## On 2003-10-03 15:56 -0400 Sean Donelan typed:
>

> SD> > "Without so much as a hearing, ICANN today formally asked us to shut down
> SD> > the Site Finder service," said VeriSign spokesman Tom Galvin. "We will
> SD> > accede to their request while we explore all of our options."
> SD>
> SD> Uhm, was that the same hearing Verisign didn't have prior to instigating
> SD> their actions?
>
>  Why should they need a hearing ?
>
>  IMHO the ICANN demand is only to remove the wildcard DNS pointers to the
> "Site Finder" service and they're completely free to point say "*.verisign.com"
> to their "Site Finder" (Which they're free to leave running as long as
> they want ;-)
>
> --
> Regards,
> 	Rafi