NTP, possible solutions, and best implementation

Robert M. Enger enger at seka.erols.net
Thu Oct 2 23:50:53 UTC 2003

As Mr. Dillon observed, regional service seems prudent, if only
to minimize timing problems at the IP layer, much less for reliability purposes.

An alternate time source could be the GLONASS system.
Receivers do exist, but I have never used one.

Sanity checking sources could include WWVB in the US, and many others:
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/lf-clocks.html

The US  FAA  is transmitting WAAS correction signals.  Depending on
the algorithms in the GPS receiver, this may result a reduction in PPS
jitter.   (although any such jitter is probably swamped by the jitter
at the IP layer)

There is at least one GPS receiver that will deliver  20PPS  output, if
needed.

It is often possible to directly interrogate the GPS receiver to find out
how many satellites it can see, and what the signal strengh conditions are.
This will allow you to verify the adequacy of the outside antenna installation.

If this is serious business, then it might be prudent to make a permanent
connection that allows this interrogation (terminal server interface),
and to check the constellation visibility and signal conditions on a
periodic basis, not just at installation time.  (Someone might put
something else up on the roof that blocks your antenna's view of a
portion of the sky...)

Best wishes,
Bob Enger