NTP, possible solutions, and best implementation

David Raistrick drais at wow.atlasta.net
Thu Oct 2 22:23:06 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2 Oct 2003, Eliot Lear wrote:

> Michael.Dillon at radianz.com wrote:
> > Beware the single point of failure. If all your clocks come from GPS, then
> > GPS is the SPOF.
>
> Can you describe what would be involved to cause this sort of single
> point of failure to fail?

A military repositioning of the GPS sats for their own purposes, perhaps?
Or adjustment of the time being broadcast?

I know that a coworker of mine experienced this with a GPS-based tracking
system.  The boat he was tracking moved from the middle of the atlantic,
to the middle of europe, then eventually back the middle of the atlantic.
(this was around the time of Desert Storm)

Or, of course, a more general failure of the GPS time system, for whatever
reason.

...david
---
david raistrick